Offensive lineman Jovaughn Gwyn of Charlotte was among the linemen to camp at South Carolina last weekend.
The Gamecocks were one of the early offers for him from a Power Five conference team and he has kept them high up on his list throughout. Gwyn said he remains open on his decision as we head to the heat of summer but he has a good feel for who his top schools will be moving forward.
"They really like me and are contacting me and letting me know," Gwyn said of the Gamecocks. "I talk mostly with Coach Wolford. He said he likes that I'm mean, I'm fast and I'm physical when I play. He said that's what he needs and what he wants. Me being up there and being around him, he's really to the point. He's a trustworthy person and a good thing about him is he just came from the 49ers coaching their O-line so he has that experience and those connections so he can develop me."
Gwyn said USC, N.C. State, Duke and Wake Forest are the schools at the top of his list in no order. He said N.C. State is the one that is recruiting him the hardest at this point. He said he grew up a North Carolina fan but that was primarily due to Tar Heel basketball.
Never miss a local story.
Gwyn is going to The Opening in Oregon the end of this month. He said he was hoping to commit somewhere before then but he's not sure he can make a decision by the end of the month.
▪ Concord, N.C., defensive lineman Rick Sandidge of is coming off an appearance at the Rivals event last weekend in Indianapolis. He said he's in regular contact with USC coach Will Muschamp.
"He's just saying he really wants me and has to get me down there. They are on me hard to be honest." Sandidge said.
He has had a top list of USC, North Carolina, Ohio State, NC State, LSU, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Florida State, Florida, Georgia and Miami. This weekend he is going to Ohio State and Michigan and then he's heading to The Opening in Oregon the end of the month. He said he does not have any plans on getting back to USC this summer. He will take officials in the fall and said LSU and Louisville will be two of those. He does not know if he'll take one to USC.
▪ Fort Dorchester quarterback Dakereon Joyner will hold his commitment announcement Sunday at 4:30 p.m., at the school auditorium. Joyner made his decision several weeks ago but has kept the information private. He chose between USC and N.C. State.
▪ Offensive lineman Jerome Carvin of Cordova, Tenn., released his top 10 Monday afternoon and USC is in, along with Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Memphis, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss and Tennessee
▪ Offensive lineman Wyatt Campbell of Lugoff-Elgin plans to make his decision this week. He will visit Clemson on Wednesday. He was at Virginia Tech and USC last week. And he was offered by Colorado State Monday.
▪ San Diego defensive back Isaac Taylor-Stuart said at a Rivals event Sunday he plans to visit The Gamecocks, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU & Oklahoma.
▪ Louisville 2019 athlete Aidan Robbins is planning to visit USC.