Florida and new head football coach Dan Mullen offered South Carolina defensive back commitment Jonathan Gipson of Hochston, GA.
He’s scheduled for his official visit to USC this weekend. Gipson committed to the Gamecocks in July.
▪ USC DB target Saivion Smith of Mississippi Gulf Coast JC committed to Alabama on Wednesday. Smith played his freshman year at LSU, then transferred to the junior college. USC had him in for an official visit and made an strong play for him.
▪ USC had an in-home visit Wednesday night with DB Trey Dean of Hampton, Ga. Kentucky also visited him Wednesday. He had been a Tennessee commit but reopened his recruitment Thursday.
▪ DE KJ Henry of Clemmons, NC, will not make his official visit to Alabama this weekend. Henry told Rivals he will talk with the Alabama coaches soon to see if he can make it for a visit.
He will be in Spartanburg starting Sunday for the Shrine Bowl, which is played Dec. 16. A recruiting dead period begins Dec. 18 and he plans to sign Dec. 20. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney made his in home visit with Henry Wednesday night. USC coach Will Muschamp stopped by his school Thursday.
▪ USC DB Israel Mukuamu of Bossier City, La., had his in home visit Wednesday night with Purdue’s two secondary coaches. Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm will visit next week.
USC and Indiana coaches were in earlier in the week. Mukuamu said he heard from USC’s Travaris Robinson on Wednesday. USC is still his favorite but he might wait until after visiting with Brohm before making a commitment.
▪ USC offered 2019 OL Jakai Moore of Nokesville, Va.; 2019 WR Jameson Williams of St. Louis; 2020 WR James Frenchie of St. Louis’ and 2020 RB Mookie Cooper of St. Louis.
▪ USC tailback commitment Lavonte Valentine (torn ACL) posted this injury update Thursday to Twitter. He is expected to sign with USC on Dec. 20 and enroll in January.