We always like the class offerings at the McCutchen House at the University of South Carolina.
Among the latest offerings are a series of classes about wine and beer – all paired with great foods from McCutchen chefs. While many classes don’t happen for several weeks, or even months, we recommend reserving early, as spots go fast.
A few classes on upcoming Tuesdays that caught our eye:
▪ Wines from Chile (Jan. 26): Wines from South America are a great value, full of flavor, aromas, and pair exceptionally well with foods. Explore what Chile has to offer from whites such as chardonnay to their famous malbecs. A paired dinner will be created. $50
▪ 10 for $20 (Feb. 2): If you like great and inexpensive finds, sample great wines that can be purchased for under $20 a bottle. All wines will be paired with dinner by our chefs. $50
▪ BBQ and Beer (Feb. 16): Barbecue and beer just seem to go hand in hand, and different styles of beer and what pairs well with barbecue will be on tap. Different menu items will be showcased, too. $50
▪ For Red Lovers (March 1): As it gets closer to summer, folks tend to move towards lighter white wines. However, red wines can be paired nicely with spring and summer dishes. In this class, participants will learn of a variety of red wines that can be paired with fresh vegetables, salads and meats. All wines will be paired with menu items created by the chef. $50
▪ Picnic Wines (April 12): Sample some lighter wines on the patio (weather permitting) paired with Chef Brian Hay’s picnic menu. Rosé and white wines from around the globe will be showcased, which can be shared under the sun or the stars. $50
For details about classes and programs offered through the Culinary and Wine Institute, call Becky Moran at (803) 777-8225 or email email@example.com.
Register for classes at sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/hrsm/for_the_community, and click on the McCutchen House link.
Food and music
Sometimes, you’d just like a little live music to pair with your food.
Several restaurants around Columbia offer just that. Here are a couple:
▪ For a Monday pick-me-up, head to Tombo Grille in Forest Acres, where $9 gets you burger, beer and live music. 4517 Forest Drive; tombogrille.com
▪ There’s a live music series at 7 p.m. Thursdays at Gervais & Vine in the Vista. Show up and get ready for jazz, wine and tapas. 620 Gervais St. www.gervine.com
From staff reports