SC burglary suspect slapped with more charges after initial arrest, SLED says
A South Carolina man is facing more charges after being initially charged with first-degree burglary and possession of a weapon during a violent crime, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
Grady Lafone Owenby, 51, was charged Monday with two counts of first-degree assault and battery and two counts of resisting arrest, according to the news release.
The new charges follow an investigation into an officer-involved shooting by SLED, where Owenby’s accomplice — Jacob Harrison Craven, 32 — was shot by a deputy with the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office amid a burglary at a home in Graniteville last Friday.
Initial reports of the incident indicated that Owenby attempted to flee from the residence as deputies approached the home, while Craven remained inside the dwelling before wielding a gun at deputies and, subsequently, being shot.
As Owenby fled, he was met by two deputies where a physical altercation ensued, according to an arrest warrant. While wrestling with deputies, Owenby tried to grab one of the deputies’ firearms from their holster, the warrant said.
The condition of Craven remains unknown. Upon his release from the hospital, Craven will be charged with first-degree burglary and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, according to a news release last week.
Evidence against Owenby, who was booked into the Aiken County Detention Center, was corroborated by video recordings of the incident and witness statements, the warrant said.