S.C. legislators today will consider a bill that would allow the governor to appoint the state’s superintendent of education, currently an elected office.
The Senate Education Committee will consider S.27 this morning, which would allow the governor to appoint the superintendent starting in 2023, if voters approve a change to the state constitution.
Last week, a Senate subcommittee approved the bill for review by the full committee. A companion bill is also making its way through the House.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ 8 a.m. - 10 a.m. Legislative Breakfast: South Carolina Forestry Association, Blatt Room 112
▪ 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. A Healthier State House, Blatt Room 110
▪ 8 a.m. Anderson, Pickens, & Oconee County Legislative Delegation, Blatt Room 305
▪ 9 a.m. Joint Bond Review Committee, Gressette Room 105
▪ 9 a.m. House Higher Education Subcommittee, Blatt Room 433
▪ 9:30 a.m. South Carolina Procurement Review Panel, Blatt Room 214/215
▪ 10 a.m. Senate Education Committee on S.27, Gressette Room 209
▪ 10 a.m. Legislative Group (Rep. Bill Taylor), Blatt Room 412
▪ 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Legislative Group (Rep. Bill Bowers), Blatt Room 317
▪ 10 a.m. House Ways and Means Public Education and Special Schools Subcommittee, Blatt Room 521
▪ 10:30 a.m. House Ways and Means Higher Education and Technical Schools Budget Subcommittee, Blatt Room 511
▪ 10:30 a.m. House Education and Public Works Committee, Blatt Room 433
▪ 10:30 a.m. House Ways and Means Transportation and Regulatory Subcommittee, Blatt Room 318
▪ 11 a.m. Senate Medical Affairs Subcommittee, Gressette Room 207
▪ 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. A Healthier State House, Blatt Room 305
▪ 11 a.m. Senate Banking and Insurance Subcommittee, Gressette Room 407
▪ 11 a.m. House Ways and Means Economic Development and Natural Resources Subcommittee, Blatt Room 523
▪ 11 a.m. House Ways and Means Legislative, Executive and Local Government Subcommittee, Blatt Room 321
▪ 11 a.m. House Ways and Means Healthcare Budget Subcommittee, Blatt Room 108
▪ 12:30 p.m. House Legislative Ethics Committee, Blatt Room 110
▪ 1 p.m. House Labor, Commerce and Industry, Business and Commerce Subcommittee on H.3529, Blatt 403
▪ (Immediately upon adjournment of the House) Ways and Means Committee, Blatt Room 110
▪ (30 minutes after the House adjourns) Full Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee, Blatt Room 410