USC Gamecocks Football

The latest on Dylan Stewart’s injury status at South Carolina

South Carolina defensive end Dylan Stewart (6) is seen on the sideline during first half of the Gamecocks’ game against Coastal Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia on Saturday, November 22, 2025.
South Carolina defensive end Dylan Stewart (6) is seen on the sideline during first half of the Gamecocks’ game against Coastal Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia on Saturday, November 22, 2025. Special To The State

Just before South Carolina began spring practice in early March, head coach Shane Beamer listed every player that were going to be limited as they dealt with injuries.

The most-notable was junior edge Dylan Stewart, who missed time late in the season dealing with a back injury.

“Just more of a continuation of what he dealt with the last half of last season,” Beamer said. “He won’t be full go, but he’ll be limited in some areas. Probably a little more limited the first week of practice then we’ll see where he is.”

During the first week of spring practice, Stewart was off to the side as the Gamecocks ran through individual drills. Some relief came soon after, as every player got last week off for spring break, which should have aided healing for numerous players.

Yet, despite that, Stewart still isn’t a full participant.

“He’s still on a process trying to get back,” defensive coordinator Clayton White said Monday. “It’s all about him being comfortable, and then just whatever our doctors say he can do, that’s what he’s going to do.”

Despite missing time dealing with the back injury, Stewart was still a force coming off the edge. The All-SEC second teamer finished his sophomore season with 33 tackles, 12 TFLS and 4.5 sacks.

Certainly, having Stewart out there this spring alongside newcomers like freshman Julian Walker and Tennessee transfer Caleb Herring would have been a major plus.

“I wish I could be the one that says, ‘Get out there and get something done,’ but that’s not why I’m here,” White said of Stewart. “Our administration and our medical staff will take care of all that stuff. But I’d love to have him out there.”

While the Gamecocks have a new coach leading the edge room — Deion Barnes — he’s adjusting to a room with injuries that extend past just Stewart. Pass rushers George Wilson, Kobby Sakyi-Prah and Jaquavious Dodd all entered the spring as “limited,” too.

Knowing that, could the Gamecocks try and add another pass rusher before the season?

“We may have to find another body here or there,” White said. “But, for the most part, we have just got to keep our noses down and keep working forward. We understand some things we gotta do, roster-wise. I know our guys can get that done.”

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW