How South Carolina approaches recruiting offensive linemen
It didn’t take long for Virginia offensive line recruit Vershon Lee to make up his mind.
The Freedom High School (Woodbridge) star visited South Carolina football a few weekends ago. On Tuesday, he announced he’ll become a Gamecock.
Lee tweeted the news, becoming South Carolina’s fifth offensive line commit for 2020. With that, USC is likely done at that position, having recently added Abbeville’s Trai Jones and Hutchinson Community College’s Jazston Turnetine to a group with longtime pledges Tyshawn Wannamaker and Issiah Walker Jr.
“The feeling was home,” Lee said of his visit. “I wanted to go somewhere where I knew I would I fit in, I want to be there, and I loved the feeling that I get from that place. I loved South Carolina, so I went there. They said I could play anywhere because of my athleticism, my smarts and my versatility.”
Freedom High School coach Darryl Overton agrees that Lee’s versatility is a strength. He also thinks his skills will be best suited for either guard or center.
“He definitely has the athleticism to play tackle, just doesn’t have the height,” Overton said. “He’s also been a point guard in basketball. Very athletic. He fell in love with being a lineman, blocking and being nasty. He takes a lot of pride in pancaking people. He’s got a lot of good skill sets. He’s very dedicated to his craft.”
Lee is a three-star prospect, the No. 957 player in the 247 Sports composite rankings. He’s the No. 61 guard and 18th-best player in Virginia.
Last season, Lee was part of an offense that averaged 37.7 points per game and reached the state title game in its class. In high school, he played offensive tackle and defensive end.
SOUTH CAROLINA CLASS OF 2020 COMMITS
▪ Luke Doty, QB (Myrtle Beach HS, SC)
▪ MarShawn Lloyd, RB (DeMatha Catholic HS, MD)
▪ Da’Qon Stewart, ATH, (North Mecklenburg HS, NC)
▪ Jazston Turnetine, OL (Hutchinson Community College, KS)
▪ Tyshawn Wannamaker OL (Calhoun County HS, SC)
▪ Issiah Walker, OL (Norland HS, Fla.)
▪ Trai Jones, OL (Abbeville HS, SC)
▪ Vershon Lee, OL (Woodbridge, VA)
▪ Mike Wyman, WR, (Greensboro Dudley HS, NC)
▪ Mohamed Kaba, LB (Clinton HS, NC)
▪ Alex Huntley, DL (Hammond HS, SC)
▪ Makius Scott, DL (Gainesville HS, GA)
▪ O’Donnell Fortune, DB (Sumter HS, SC)