South Carolina football is usually looking to add dynamic playmakers to its arsenal at the tight end spot.
The high three-star recruit out of Reeltown High School and Notasulga, Alabama, pledged to the Gamecocks on Thursday.
He is the 17th member of USC’s 2020 class. He committed moments after four-star defensive lineman Tonka Hemingway joined the class.
“They’re a a great fit for me,” Shaw said moments after committing. “The coaches are for their players. Coach Bentley, me and him have a great relationship. I just felt like that’s where I wanted to be.”
He feigned grabbing an Auburn hat before going to take off his jacket to reveal a Gamecocks shirt. As he fumbled with the shirt, a relative gabbed the USC hat and put it on.
Shaw is a versatile athlete who played on both sides of the ball before a torn ACL cut his junior season short.
According to OANow.com, the 6-foot-4, 210 pounder had 60 tackles, seven for loss, one sack, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery, while on offense posting 11 carries for 248 yards and three touchdowns and six catches for 222 yards and two touchdowns. That’s more than 27 yards per touch on offense.
He’s currently the No. 370 player in the country in the 247Sports Composite rankings, less than 25 spots away from four-star status. That puts him at the No. 18 player in Alabama and No. 15 “athlete.” He’d played mostly receiver and linebacker in high school, and will transition to a new spot soon enough.”
“I’m ready for it,” Shaw said. “That’s going to be something new. You’ve got to learn something new every day. But I’m up for it.”
The team added Williams & Mary transfer tight end Nick Muse this offseason, but it’s unclear if he’ll be cleared to play starting in 2019 or 2020. USC was also after former Florida commit Jaheim Bell.
South Carolina has often had two-tight end classes, and Muschamp’s first technically had three. The team added Robert Tucker, who ended up taking a medical redshirt; Evan Hinson, who hasn’t developed into a contributor after splitting time with basketball; and wide receiver Kiel Pollard, who converted to tight end and is in line to start to for the Gamecocks.
With Shaw and Hemingway in the fold, USC has 17 commits for a class that will top out at 22. The class will likely include more on the defensive line and another linebacker, plus it also could include another running back, receiver or perhaps even another tight end.
SOUTH CAROLINA CLASS OF 2020 COMMITS
▪ Luke Doty, QB (Myrtle Beach HS, SC)
▪ MarShawn Lloyd, RB (DeMatha Catholic HS, MD)
▪ Da’Qon Stewart, ATH, (North Mecklenburg HS, NC)
▪ Eric Shaw, TE/ATH, (Reeltown HS, AL)
▪ Jazston Turnetine, OL (Hutchinson Community College, KS)
▪ Tyshawn Wannamaker OL (Calhoun County HS, SC)
▪ Trai Jones, OL (Abbeville HS, SC)
▪ Vershon Lee, OL (Woodbridge, VA)
▪ Mike Wyman, WR, (Greensboro Dudley HS, NC)
▪ Mohamed Kaba, LB (Clinton HS, NC)
▪ Alex Huntley, DL (Hammond HS, SC)
▪ Makius Scott, DL (Gainesville HS, GA)
▪ Tonka Hemingway, DL (Conway HS, SC)
▪ O’Donnell Fortune, DB (Sumter HS, SC)
▪ Dominick Hill, DB (Jones HS, FL)
▪ Joey Hunter, DB (Sandy Springs HS, GA)
▪ Kai Kroeger, P (Lake Forest HS, IL)