Clemson University

Dabo on Clemson locker room boxing: ‘Stupid ... It’s not a frat house’

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney publicly addressed for the first time during his Tuesday press conference the release last week of locker room video showing players boxing and called it “stupid.”

Swinney said that the video was old -- he wasn’t exactly sure how old but it wasn’t taken last week -- and added that it was walk-on players in the video. The video was posted on social media last Wednesday night.

“We had a couple walk-ons in there with a little too much time on their hands. We all have raised kids. And so sometimes young people have a little too much time on their hands and they do stupid stuff. And you’ve got a pair of boxing gloves laying around, next thing you know, you’ve got a boxing match going on,” Swinney said.

“You’ve got a mat on the ground, sometimes boys especially will start wrestling and goofing off. It’s been going on forever and ever and ever... It’s just somebody got a video of it and put it out.”

Swinney addressed the video with his team and does not expect to have that problem again.

In addition to it being a bad look for the program, he added that someone could have gotten hurt.

“It was brought to my attention and obviously it was something we won’t tolerate that,” Swinney said. “We’re not 10 years old. We’re not eight. We’re grown men… It’s not a frat house. It’s not a romper room. And so that’s kind of what I told them. This is a new house. It’s really nice. And that locker room is not a romper room. This ain’t kindergarten. And so yeah, I don’t think you’re going to have any more problems with that.”

This story was originally published October 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM with the headline "Dabo on Clemson locker room boxing: ‘Stupid ... It’s not a frat house’."

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW